"....then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn...."

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Hungry for Color

February, March, April, sometimes even May.  These are hard months for me, avid gardener that I am.  I think plants and I were always meant to be friends.  And although there is nothing so satisfying as growing your own food there is something equally pleasing about growing something beautiful.

This time of year I turn to houseplants, and this year in particular I've been especially blessed.  I have, not one, but two plants blooming in my home during this bleak, cold, outdoor season.




My Christmas cactus doesn't seem to be able to read the calendar and has been giving me little bursts of blooms this month.  The orange amaryllis I bought at Walmart, of all places, has had stalks of 6 groupings of blooms for close to four months straight!

If this interests you, or your kids, there are all kinds of bulbs you can easily force in the winter months.  It would be a great addition to a horticulture unit and the amaryllis, in particular, has flower parts that are easy to see and identify.

I'm just enjoying their bright colors!

xoxo

No comments: